November 23, 2010

Cable fingerless mittens and Wool slippers

Helloooo!!!!
I can't beleive it has been so long since I last posted... I wanted to do it, but the thing is that the weather is changing, and we'd had several very cloudy, grey and dark days... and those kind of days doesn't inspire me to open up... or something like that...
But gladly, I'm very happy, not depressed at all, just more slow and not so chit-chatting as usual...
But I've been busy busy as a bee.... though my hands are having pain again so I can't crochet as much as I'd like to, but I'm back with my wonderful Ice Diping therapy, and I'm confident that I'll be better soon to crochet as much as I want during the cold and snowy winter...

So one of the things I've been working on is a pair of Cable Fingerless Mittens...
Here they are!!!
At first I worked based in this free pattern, that I had used before to make some mittens...
but now that I've been working in the wall hanging, I like the texture of this "up-stitches" and I'm a lot into cables... so I modified the pattern to add a cable and I came up with this mittens...
The color is more similar to the one showed in the second picture, where I'm wearing it...
I really really love the way they came out, they are very comfy and warm... as it was an experiment I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn, that I had at home... so I like them and I'm sure I'll use them a lot, but I might have to make another pair with a fancier yarn...
I'm working on the pattern now... to share it of course, and to remember how to make them when I'm ready for my next pair...

Other project was this slippers that I made with the same wool of the wall hanging... I also made these up, but didn't wrote the pattern down for them... I made them when I was in Mexico but haven't show them to you until now...
I tried to felt them last week and, as it was also an experiment, I threw them in the washer and then the dryer... they didn't felt!!!!
The ladies at my LYS keep telling me that it's not wool if it didn't felt... but I don't think so!! I'm pretty sure my friend made this yarn out of his own sheeps... and I've made a bit of research, and aparently the breed of these sheep (Polypay) produces a wool that is not very easy to felt... and also, the place where I live has Super High Efficiency Washer and Dryers... and I've read that those take more cycles than normal felting to work... so I might give it another try, either by hand or in the machines... Hope to show it later!!!

See you soon!
S.

2 comments:

  1. those gloves are super cute! and I just spied the wall hanging, WOW! it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely patterns and thanks for the links. I also appreciate your info. regarding sore hands, carpal tunnel and the like. I just got over a bout of really painful hands. It is always worse when doing amigurmi or using cotton yarn so I'm mindful of doing those things in little stints. One thing I found the last time with the pain that helped immensely was massage. I did it myself as soon as the pain began and it really worked wonders. I also cupped a hot mug of boiling water carefully as it would cool down. I think it was better than keeping my hands still. Thanks again for all of your insight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment!